Fire!

Amerikan intiaaneja ja intiaanikulttuureja koskeva keskustelu
Vastaa Viestiin
Robert Sixcones

Fire!

Viesti Kirjoittaja Robert Sixcones » Ke 05.09.2007 11:42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This last weekend my wife and I had a major situation .
For some reason not known our tipi went up in smoke right in the middle of camp .
We had been inside just 15 min or so before and all was fine no smoke or evidence of what was abut to happen .
It was a smaller encampment of 13 lodges . As a result we all had moved off to the firing line some 200 yards away to shoot .
One of the wives had forgotten something in her lodge which was behind ours . When she came out she said she heard a noise like someone or something was in our lodge going through things . She said she knew we were up on the line and thus started to say something when the back of the lodge burst into flame.

She yelled FIRE but we didn’t understand what she said tell we seen her running toward us yelling camps on fire.
Upon getting to camp , really no more then just a couple minutes from her first alarm the tipi was completely engulfed.

Now here is the point of this post . I have a large shoot box that I keep some assorted gun repair tools , extra frizzens , a couple locks 100 or so flints , nipples , main springs and such . Below this I keep my personal cleaning supplies and powder .
I had just ran a cleaning patch down my rifle so I had the box outside and against the TIPI . Needless to say the box was burning to . we couldn’t get close enough to get it out .
Now this held 3Lbs of powder 1 can each of 2F ,3F and a ½ can of 4F.

Finally we got some water on her and pulled the box away . The powder cans had got so hot the paint was burnt away and the cans warped. Thank GOD for metal can for everything plastic had melted in the box . To include a 3 box of round balls and 2 bags of hand case 50 cal ball that were in the same box and sitting right on top the powder cans .
Now mind you there was maybe 20 people . All fighting the fire and within very close proximity to this shoot box .
Fellas , we never really think about the every day seemingly non important things we do until something like this happens . In fact it never dawned on me about this tell yesterday morning when I was going through what little was left . See the fire was so hot and burned so fast nothing to include hides , blankets clothing trunks , bead work ,was left, Just a pile of ash . Most everything was instantly incinerated .

Folks , we got real luck as this box was a shrapnel bomb waiting to go off . If that powder had went , there most likely would not be many of us here today as the explosion would have sent lead balls in every direction .
I for one will never again place powder any where close to the round balls we all carry .

Yesterday after receiving calls from friend I ask how they store their gear . Every last one also had powder in boxes that also contained other shooting supplies to include round balls .

PLEASE , please think about this and what can happen .
Lynne and I lost most everything but our weapons and the clothes we had on . We will be ok nothing was lost that cant be replace . However our friends are no where on that list . It could have been a really bad situation .
Someone was watching over us all this weekend
member of F.E.W.S.
Hot Damn
Je Vois Tout
Don't go away mad! Just go away!
Robert Sixcornet
Karhu
Wilawane
Blackhand
BlackArse
Uncle Rhinestone
http://cows-finland.org/kuvagalleria/in ... ?cat=10004

Simo Hankaniemi

Viesti Kirjoittaja Simo Hankaniemi » To 22.11.2007 01:19

Tapahtuiko palo Amerikassa vai jollain Euroopan leirillä? Ei kiva kokemus. Selvisikö palon syy?

Robert Sixcones

Viesti Kirjoittaja Robert Sixcones » To 22.11.2007 07:47

Simo Hankaniemi kirjoitti:Tapahtuiko palo Amerikassa vai jollain Euroopan leirillä? Ei kiva kokemus. Selvisikö palon syy?
Jossain Jenkki rendessä ja ei selviinnyt. Saksan rendessä on ainakin kerran öljylamppu hajonnut tipin sisällä (ilmeisesti tönästy vahingossa) ja tipi palo poroksi. :?
TT
member of F.E.W.S.
Hot Damn
Je Vois Tout
Don't go away mad! Just go away!
Robert Sixcornet
Karhu
Wilawane
Blackhand
BlackArse
Uncle Rhinestone
http://cows-finland.org/kuvagalleria/in ... ?cat=10004